Verstappen has ended speculation about his future in the sport
Zandvoort (Netherlands) (AFP) - Four-time Formula One world champion Max Verstappen has signed a new contract with Red Bull until the end of 2030, the team announced Thursday, ending speculation over his future in the sport.
“I have always said it: The team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home,” said Verstappen.
“I came to the team hoping to be able to win races. What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely,” added Verstappen, using his trademark phrase.
Verstappen is one of the most successful Formula One drivers of all time, dominating the sport with four consecutive world championships from 2021.
But results have been harder to come by this season, with the 28-year-old failing to see a chequered flag in the first half of the year and sitting sixth in the drivers’ championship.
The uncompetitive nature of the Red Bull car this year has led many to speculate that the mercurial Dutchman could switch to another team or even leave Formula One entirely.
Verstappen revealed to reporters that he had been “probably closer to retiring than moving to another team” and did not hide his frustrations with the new regulations brought in this season.
“I have to say after the first few races, I said to (team boss) Laurent (Mekies), ‘don’t come to me with every kind of question about the future, because I don’t even know if I want to stay’,” Verstappen told a packed news conference at the Red Bull trailer.
“I love racing… and we are slowly working towards something that becomes better and better. I accept the situation we are all in and just trying to make the best of that,” he said.
Verstappen said he was keen to get the team back to winning ways.
“We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again,” he said.
- ‘Special send-off’ -
Mekies hailed the Dutchman’s “uncompromising competitiveness, relentless determination and the courage to challenge convention”.
“What to say guys, it’s phenomenal news, certainly for Red Bull racing, I could also say for Formula One and even more globally for all sport,” Mekies told reporters.
He thanked Verstappen for the “trust” he has shown in the team and stressed it was now up to Red Bull to deliver a competitive car for their star driver.
“We don’t take it lightly. With this trust comes a huge amount of responsibility in living up to be able to give him the best package for the years to come,” he told reporters.
The news came with preparations in full swing for Verstappen’s home race, the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, and will delight his thousands of orange-clad fans.
The promoters decided not to continue racing at Zandvoort, partly due to uncertainty over Verstappen’s future given his importance for the popularity of the event.
Verstappen was unbeatable on his home track, winning the first three editions since it was reintroduced to the circuit in 2021.
But he has since been chasing McLaren in his own backyard, with Papaya drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri claiming the last two races.
“To make this announcement during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well,” said Verstappen.
“Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.”
Securing Verstappen’s signature is also a huge boost for Red Bull, as they chase Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren in the teams’ championship.
The Dutchman is always mentioned in conversations about the greatest driver of all time and seemed destined for success from birth.
His Dutch father Jos drove in eight Formula One seasons while his mother, Sophie Kumpen, was a Belgian karting champion.
He started karting in 2005 and mopped up titles as he progressed through classes, finishing with a record-setting season in 2013.
When he made his race debut in a Toro Rosso in Australia in the 2015 season opener, he became the youngest ever Formula One driver by almost two years.
He was just 17 years, 5 months, 15 days old and had taken part in 14 Grand Prix races before he passed his driving test on his 18th birthday.